What is Baobab?
Baobab is a tree that grows in Africa, Australia, and the Middle East. Every part of the tree has traditionally been used as food, medicine, or as the basis of clothing or household items.
Source of Baobab
There are nine species of baobab trees in the world: one in mainland Africa, Adansonia digitata,(the species that can grow to the largest size and to the oldest), six in Madagascar, and one in Australia.
The mainland African baobab was named after the French botanist Michel Adanson, who described the baobab trees in Senegal.
Baobab fruit powder is a rich source of vitamin C (a single 10g serving provides 33% of your daily requirement), nearly 50% fiber and has the highest antioxidant content of any fruit, supporting a wide range of benefits.
The baobab have more than 300 uses i.e.
- The baobab fruit and powder are believed to have antimicrobial, antiviral, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, carbohydrates, phosphorus, and fiber.
- Baobab powder may be used in bodybuilding and fitness supplements as well as in vitamins and mineral formulas.
- Baobab oil can be applied to the skin to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and stretch marks.
The baobab ingredient market has gained higher importance of the food ingredients market players in the recent years due to its beneficial properties.
- Cosmetic companies
- Food and beverage industry
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Whole Baobab fruit (the complete fruit including hard shell)
- Baobab pulps (Separated from the shell and void of seeds)
- Baobab pulp powder
Specification Data Sheet
This Sudanese standard is formulated by the technical committee No.4 formed according to the administrative decree of the SSM0/1/A/I dated 18/8/01. It applies to Baobab. On formulating this standard the committee has referred to international publications and works of Sudanese researchers on the subject.
Baobab exporting process
- We pack our Baobab in 50 kg poly propylene (PP) bags.
- We load the 20 feet containers with up to 19 metric tons of Baobab.
- The minimum order quantity (20ft FCL) takes a period of 10 to 15 days to be on board of the vessel, this period varies depending on the quantity ordered.
- The port of loading is PORTSUDAN (SDPZU), with a possibility to re-export from other nearby ports in the Middle East.
- Lead time to reach the clients desired port depends on the shipping lines used and the destination to that port usually varies between 2 to 8 weeks for farther destinations.
- Payment terms and documents are provided along with the shipment, they are mentioned in the products main page **(please check)
- Baobab is falling among the products which the US sanctions against Sudan has not exempted, therefore cannot be exported directly from PORTSUDAN to the US market unless obtaining a special OFAC license.
(*) Need to be confirmed at each country customs authorities.