What are Senna Pods?
Senna alexandrina is an ornamental plant in the genus senna. It is used in herbalism. It grows natively in Upper Egypt, especially in the Nubian region, and near Khartoum (Sudan). It is also elsewhere, notably in India and Somalia.
Source of Senna Pods
It received the name Alexandrian senna and Egyptian senna because Alexandria in Egypt was the main trade port in past times. The fruits and leaves were transported from Nubia and Sudan and other places to Alexandria, then from it across the Mediterranean Sea to Europe and adjacent Asia.
Historically senna alexandrina was used in the form of senna pods, or as herbal tea, as a laxative. It is also serves as a fungicide. Senna is also thought to have both anti-inflammatory and antiphrastic properties.
- Beverage companies.
- Pharmaceutical companies.
Types & forms
Senna leaves and pods are the parts that are useful and we offer them in raw form or powdered form.
Senna and Nutrition
- Senna can be used as a laxative which helps combat constipation due to anthraquinone glycosides known as sennosides. These compounds stimulate intestinal contractions.
- Colon cleansing is believed to improve nutrient uptake and support overall colon health.
- Anti-parasitic with works to destroy parasites and expel worms from the intestinal track.
- Senna contains enzymes that help to restore gastric juice secretions in the stomach.
- Senna leaves contain essential oils and tannins that help to alleviate skin inflammation.
- Acetone and ethanol are compounds present in senna fight the microorganisms that cause acne.
- Senna also helps to reduce sebum production and increase cell regeneration and collagen production.
Specification Data Sheet
This Sudanese standard is formulated by the technical committee No.4 formed according to the administrative decree of the SSM0/1/A/Idated 18/8/01. It applies to Senna Pods. On formulating this standard the committee has referred to international publications and works of Sudanese researchers on the subject.
Senna Pods exporting process
- The pods are hydraulically pressed in bales of 200 to 250 kg.
- Then loaded in 40 feet containers with up to 19 metric tons of the pods.
- The minimum order quantity (40ft FCL) takes a period of 15 to 20 days to be on board of the vessel, this period varies depending on the quantity ordered.
- The port of use is PORTSUDAN (SDPZU), with a possibility to re-export from other nearby ports.
- Estimated time to reach the clients desired port depends on the shipping lines used and the destination to that port, usually varies between 2 to 8 weeks for the farthest destination.
- The H.S code for the Senna is 12119022 (*)
- Payment documents provided along with the shipment.
- Sudanese Senna is falling among the products which the US sanctions against Sudan has not exempted, therefore cannot be exported directly from PORTSUDAN to the US market unless obtaining a special OFAC license.
(*) Need to be confirmed form each country customs authorities.