What are Watermelon Seeds?
Watermelon seeds are one of the mist nutrient dense varieties of seeds. The seeds extracted from watermelon, cultivated in large quantities in western Sudan areas.
Source of Watermelon Seeds
- Global production of watermelons was 111 million tones, with China alone accounting for 67% of the total.
- Secondary producers each with less than 4% of world production included Turkey, Iran, Brazil, and Egypt.
- Sudan exports a huge amount of watermelon seeds annually.
Watermelon Seeds and Nutrition
- Watermelon seeds have high content of unsaturated fats which help reduce cholesterol and lower the risk of cardiovascular problems.
- Watermelon seeds also contain magnesium which helps lower blood pressure.
- Watermelon seeds promote weight loss because of its protein content.
When roasted or salted in a shell are known as a popular snack just like sunflower seeds, also considered a nutritional fiber-rich snack.
- Watermelon seeds are used in Naturopathic medicine. It contains magnesium which regulates blood pressure and has a beneficial effect on blood sugar. Additionally, it contains mono and polyunsaturated fats which help reduce blood cholesterol and reduce high blood pressure.
- Watermelon seed oil is primarily used for cosmetics.
- Hulled watermelon seeds can be used to make garnish cakes, various desserts and also used as a part in preparing special salads and soups.
- Watermelon seeds could be used as animal feed. Watermelon seeds cake is a good source of protein for animal.
Many food manufacturers are using watermelon seed to produce dry and roasted snacks. Roasted watermelon seeds are popular snacks in many countries:
- Snacks manufacturing companies
- Commercial food processing companies
- Cosmetics manufacturers
- Herbal and natural medicine products producers
- Animal feed producers
- Individuals in many countries across the world
Types & Forms
Watermelon seeds come in different types depending on the watermelon source. But all types of seeds share the same nutrients composition. The seeds come in three forms in shell raw cleaned, in shell roasted and saluted, and watermelon seeds kernels.
- White raw seeds in different sizes
- Brownish raw seeds in different sizes
- Creamy raw seeds in different sizes
- Mixed colors raw seeds in different sizes
- Black color seeds in different sizes
Specification Data Sheet
This Sudanese standard is formulated by the technical committee No.4 formed according to the administrative decree of the SSM0/1/A/Idated 18/8/01. It applies to Watermelon Seeds. On formulating this standard the committee has referred to international publications and works of Sudanese researchers on the subject.
Watermelon Seeds exporting process
- Our watermelon seeds in 40kg or 45 kg polypropylene (PP) bags.
- Then are loaded in 20 feet containers with up to 18 metric tons.
- The minimum order quantity (20ft FCL) takes a period of 10 to 15 days to be on board of the vessel, this period varies depending on the quantity ordered.
- The port of loading is PORTSUDAN (SDPZU), with a possibility to re-export from other nearby ports.
- Estimated time to reach the clients desired port depends on the shipping lines used and the destination to that port usually varies between a minimum 2 to maximum 8 weeks for the farthest destination.
- The H.S code for the watermelon seeds is 12077090 (*)
- Payment documents provided along with the shipment.
- Watermelon seed is falling among the products which the US sanctions against Sudan has not exempted, therefore cannot be exported directly from PORTSUDAN to the US market unless obtaining a special OFAC license.
(*) Need to be confirmed form each country customs authorities.